Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Housewife House Tackles a Chicken

  
Last night I decided to surprise my hard working husband with a roasted chicken.  Some of you may know, I have been a vegetarian for the last three years.  This being said, I have never man-handled an entire raw chicken before!  So after a trip to the grocery store I stood over the sink with a 4 pound chicken looking up at me.  To my surprise I roasted the sucker with ease!

Here is my recipe for Simple Southwestern Chicken

What You'll Need
  • 1 whole chicken
  • Olive oil
  • Seasonings (You can really use any seasonings you like, these are some of my faves)
    • Lime Juice
    • Pepper
    • Salt
    • Cumin
    • Paprika 
    • Garlic!  My #1 Spice 
    • Onions, garlic cloves, roasting vegetables (optional)
    • Preheat your oven to 400 F and find a roasting pan
  1. Examine the Rear- You heard me correctly; look up the chicken's rear end and pull out the bag of guts (this was the worst part for me)
  2. Give Him a Bath- Rinse the chicken inside and out, make sure the water is not on high unless you like chicken juices splattered all over your clothes and kitchen...mmm...
  3. Mix Your Spices and Rub Him Down- I mixed all my spices in a small bowl and added about 1/4 cup of olive oil.  I know some of you hate when people do not post specific quantities, but guessing with these spices won't hurt your chicken.  When in doubt add more garlic!  Next, rub the spices all over your chicken (the spice and oil mixture should resemble a paste).  This was both gross and kinda fun!  I also chose to chop some garlic and place under the skin, as well as some onions and squash in the pan surrounding the chicken.
    4. All dressed up and nowhere to go!...except the oven- Place your rubbed down chicken in a roasting pan, breast side down.  *Some roasting vegetables may have to be pulled out of the pan before the chicken.





      5. Roast chicken at 400 for 15-20 minutes per pound- The thermometer should register 165-170 when finished.

      *It may take longer if you stuffed and onion inside your chicken, which I did :)





       Serve it up!!  I served my chicken with the roasted yellow squash, onions and whole garlic cloves. 




      No comments:

      Post a Comment