Friday, February 17, 2012

Fluffy Blueberry Cupcakes



           Over the past few weeks I have been trying to eat as Paleo as possible.  Some days all I want to do is sink my teeth into a huge piece of chocolate cake or eat 20 cookies in one sitting.  I have found that Paleo desserts seem to disappear in our house just as fast as non-Paleo, but I don't feel quite as guilty eating them!  :)  Here are some incredible blueberry muffins/cupcakes I made last week.  This was before I bought coconut flour so I will be posting the coconut flour recipe soon, as well as a strawberry and banana recipe.  Banana mufins are great when you add flax seed meal!

Em's Fluffy Paleoberry Cupcakes


3 cups almond meal (I use honeyville brand)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/4 cup agave nectar or sweetener of choice
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup coconut oil melted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup or more coconut milk to achieve smooth consistency
 
      Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the vanilla extract, honey, lemon juice and coconut oil. Mix well. Add the almond meal and baking powder and mix well. Add the blueberries and mix gently. I baked them in mini muffin pans for approx. 15 min on 350 F. 
 
Homemade Paleo "Frosting"
1 egg white
1/4 cup maple syrup 
(I only had Smuckers Sugar Free, I think it would have "fluffed" better with the real stuff)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup blueberries

Beat egg white, fold in maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice.  Place blueberries in pan over medium-high heat until they reach a jam consistency.  This won't take long, so continuously stir to avoid burning.  Fold blueberry jam in to egg white icing and pipe or dollop on cupcakes.
 
Now share them with your husband and watch them disappear! Yummy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment